Sunday, June 13, 2021

‘Melted Ice Cream’ Grace

OBSERVATION FROM A SEMINARY STUDENT

(By Dr. Bill Bouknight - 2012, Confessing Movement Newsletter)

Recently I had the privilege of speaking at a United Methodist seminary. My subject was: “Five Truths about Evangelism that I wish I had learned in Seminary.” Those five truths are the following:

• All people can be divided into two categories: lost and found, and some of the lost are in every congregation.

• The Word of God is the only real authority we have.

• Until a person faces his sin, he/she cannot really comprehend or receive the grace of God.

• The Gospel always has a cross at its center.

• A Bible-based, Spirit-filled sermon has enormous, mysterious power.

A few days later I received a letter from a seminary student who was in that audience. Here are a few of his comments:

“I regret to say that today was the first time in my seminary experience that words like ‘sin,’ ‘Hell,’ and ‘the lost’ have been employed. As a consequence, I think we have celebrated grace that a favorite pastor of mine termed ‘melted ice cream.’

In short, today was the first time since I have been at seminary that the Gospel of Christ was acknowledged unapologetically, and for that I am most grateful.”

I am curious if other seminary students at United Methodist seminaries are having similar experiences. Are you being taught the cross-centered Gospel or some other version? John Wesley listed the following as essential doctrines of the Christian faith: original sin, the atonement of Christ, justification by faith, the Holy Spirit, the new birth, Christian assurance, and holiness. Are you being taught those doctrines? Please email your reaction to me at bgbouknight@aol.com I promise to keep your names confidential.

No comments: