Thursday, December 9, 2021

 Leonard Sweet's Rapture Story

"Growing up as a kid, we were pre-Trib. So every night I prayed, “Now I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If He should come before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.” That was my prayer. His coming was more real to me than anything else. “Come Jesus,” was how we ended off our family prayer in the evening. So we were talking about His return any minute to save us from what was coming.

I was the oldest, two younger brothers, all year apart. When I got home from school, my mother was not there and my brothers would dribble in after me. That was really a concern when she wasn't there if there was no note. We knew when Jesus came back he would take mother.  I was uncertain whether I would go or not.  I knew my brothers were not going 'cause I knew things about them.

If it became over 20 minutes that mother wasn't there and I didn’t know where she was, I began to panic. I could give it 30 minutes, but I had to have some relief 'cause I would really break out in a sweat.  The problem was I wasn't sure about my father if he was going. My mother didn't know this but he went to some movies, and we couldn't go to movies in our tribe. And so I wasn’t sure dad was going and did not want you to call him at work. Mother always took care of Dad. And if mother had gone up in the cloud and we were left, I figured I had figured I had to take care of Dad too because I was the oldest. And I knew it take care my brother.  So I was really sweating!

I had one friend that I could call 663-0180. We had to use those old rotary phones and so it took a long while.  Her name was Ruth and when she answered the phone, I hung up. ‘Cause I knew Ruth was going. I knew Ruth was going. So I've always had a tender spot in my heart for hang ups. You never know why people may be calling and hanging up on you.

But if she didn't answer and I couldn’t get anybody there, it was it was just paralyzing. One time I waited about an hour, mother hadn’t come home. I was having to take care of my brothers.  I figured, OK, it come. I'm gonna have to be responsible here. I had saved $14.00 my brothers and I had earned from doing some revivals with my mother. It was for a new suit. I figured, OK,  it's time to take it as seriously.  Jesus came back and I've been left. I'm going to have to start taking care of the family. So me and my brothers walked down to the corner store at the bottom of the hill. I bought some food for the dogs and of course the food I thought to buy were chocolate chip cookies. The dogs would like that, right? So I got dog food which was really snacks for us. When Mom finally got home, she was not happy with my spending the whole $14.00 on basically snacks that I justified, Well, somebody’s got take care of the dogs. The dogs have to eat something.

This was the highly charged atmosphere I grew up in."

transcribed from "Are You Rapture Ready?" YouTube video at https://youtu.be/osSqcFQXcEE

No comments: