Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Preach a Better Sermon with your Life

I used to go to a doctor who was obviously overweight and who smoked.  This doctor had heart trouble issues as well. When he would advise me on diet and exercise, I believed what he told me was medically accurate, but I wasn't inspired by any example he was setting. Under his care, I continued to increase in my weight.  Now I go to a different doctor who is slim and does not smoke. Since I've put myself in his care, I've been more inspired to lose weight and keep fit.  The example he has set has helped to motivate me.

That's why this testimony makes sense to me:

"Dr. Furr, a resident of Jackson, AL and the Alabama-West Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church lay leader, incorporated a video presentation of his personal account of weight loss and transformation into leading a healthy lifestyle. Furr realized that when his wedding band no longer fit, it was time to make a change. Furr is a family practitioner physician in Jackson and explained that his patients were able to better follow his medical advice by him leading as an example. The video also showed his daily routine of work, family and exercise all blended in an appropriate fashion. He expressed in his address that, "Being or living a sermon is a whole different matter. A part of me had to die so the real me could live. I was desecrating the temple God has given me. I had to decide to BE a sermon." As God tells his followers our bodies are a temple, Furr said, "my personal temple was in disarray." At one point, Dr. Furr was 5'6", 236 pounds. He now proudly weighs in under 175 pounds. He concluded by saying that, "Jesus Christ is the best personal trainer ever."

Furr made a poignant statement in saying, "You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Rev. Rurel Ausley, a member of the Alabama-West Florida Conference delegation, commented on Dr. Furr's statement by saying, "Steve masterfully articulated his physical transformation into a spiritual parable for personal transformation in Christ. Inspiring and at times tearing up, Dr. Furr electrified the General Conference and made all of Alabama-West Florida burst with pride."

To see Dr. Furr's video testimony, click here. The full address is archived here

Article found here: http://www.awfumc.org/news/detail/756

No comments: